by Lee Turner
Is Islam truly the way of salvation, as its devotees proclaim? This comparison will help you understand. Please pray for Muslims every day because every fifth person in our world is one.
• "And one who attacketh you, attackhim in like manner as he attacked you" (Qur'an 2:194). "But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also" (Matt. 5:39).
• "… your almsgiving … will atone for some of your ill-deeds" (Qur'an 2:271)."He saves us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit…" (Titus 3:5).
• "If ye avoid the great (things) which ye are forbidden, We will remit from you your evil deeds and make you enter at a noble gate" (Qur'an 4:31). "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it" (James 2:10).
• "Seek ye to guide him whom Allah hath sent astray?… if they turn back (to enmity) then take them and kill them wherever ye find them…" (Qur'an 4:88-89). "Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?" (Rom. 2:4).
• "The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and spirit from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers, and say not `Three' Cease! (it is) better for you! Allah is only One God. Far is it removed from His transcendent majesty that he should have a son" (Qur'an 4:171). "`Come near me and listen to this: `From the first announcement I have not spoken in secret; at the time it happens I am there.' And now the Sovereign Lord has sent me, with his Spirit" (Is. 48:16); "For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form…" (Col. 2:9).
• "It is not for any Prophet to have captives until he hath made slaughter in the land" (Qur'an 8:67). "Bless those who persecute you; bless and curse not….Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men….Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good" (Rom. 14:14,17,21).
• "Freedom from obligation (is proclaimed) from Allah and His messenger toward those of the idolaters with whom ye made a treaty" (Qur'an 9:1). "Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, `Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord" (Matt. 5:33).
Lee Turner, as a former missionary in Afganistan, knows his subject well. Today he heads Key Communications, a radio ministry to Urdu-speaking peoples in the Third World.